Distance from Bacolod: 54 kilometers
Land Area: 16,080.00 hectares
Classification: 1st Class
No. of Barangays: 24 Barangays
Population: 74,997 (May 1, 2000) – 79,331 (2005 Projection)
Language: Hiligaynon/Ilonggo/English is spoken and understood
The early inhabitants of this town were the semi-primitive people called “Mundos” and “Ambaks”. When traders and settlers from Panay started moving in, the natives were driven to the mountains. The new settlers were called “Tagahigad” and when the Spaniards came the place was called “Ginigaran” from the word “higad” but it was later spelled and pronounced as Hinigaran.
The town was founded in 1765 and Capitan Basilio Mongcal was appointed as the first president in 1806. Among its first settlers were the families of Mongcal, Lagtapon, Curio, Sario, David, Sarrosa, Pido, Pabalinas, Lontayao, Javier, Vargas, Lucasan, and Grijaldo-some of whom were from Panay.
The Spaniards established the seat of the “pueblo” in Jacinto and Zamora Streets, and the town was governed by “Capitanes Municipales”, “Tenientes Absolato” and “ Cabezas de Barangay”. When revolt against the Spanish Government broke out, Capitan Bibiano Galvosa and his followers fought bravely against the Spaniards. He was the last “Capitan Municipal” when the Americans arrived.
How to get there
Hinigaran is about an-hour-and-15 minute drive south of Bacolod City using public transport and one hour on private vehicles. Public utility vehicles plying the southern Negros route pass through the municipality, dubbed as “Gateway to Southern Negros”.
Hinigaran is bounded on the north by the town of Pontevedra, on the south by the municipality of Binalbagan, on the west by the Guimaras Strait and on the east by the municipalities of Isabela and La Castellana.
Century-old Church using Romanesque architecture is one of the old churches in the country. The walls, about two meters thick are made of limestone blocks transported from Guimaras province.
Old Church Convent. The Pacific war had destroyed several old buildings except the old convent which was guarded because it was used as temporary evacuation center of the residents who stayed in the Poblacion at the height of the Japanese mopping operation. Today, it is occupied by the La Consolacion School of the Augustinian Sisters.
Senator Esperidion Guanco Bridge was constructed in 1927 by the late Pro-Tempore Senator Esperidion Guanco. It measures 114 meters long and 6 meters wide.
Mini Rizal Park is located at the public plaza in front of the century-old church. It was constructed in 1970 with monuments of the soldiers during the World War II.
Talabahan Plantation. Hinigaran is known for its oysters. The town has an oyster plantation under the bridge.
Paradiso Beach Resort is 45-minute away from Bacolod City. It has a wide range of modern facilities to cater to all your needs. It has swimming pool, air conditioned cottages and restaurant.
Canonoy Beach Resort is an ideal place for picnics. It has a swimming pool and overnight accommodation for family vacation.