Distance from Bacolod: 103.7 kilometers
Land Area: 28,170.00 hectares
Classification: 3rd Class
No. of Barangays: 13 Barangays
Population: 46,525 (May 1, 2000) – 49,214 (2005 Projection)
Language: Hiligaynon/Ilonggo/Cebuano/English is spoken and understood
Ilog was founded by the Augustinian Fathers Geronimo Marin and Francisco Bustos on May 16, 1584. It was the biggest settlement in Negros at the time of the Spanish conquest. It was the island’s commercial and political center. The name Ilog was recommended by a Tagalog guide of the Spaniards because the place was entirely surrounded by the longest river in the whole island of Negros – the Ilog River.
From the very beginning Ilog seemed to have been the most important town in Negros, perhaps because of the Ilog River. The first location of Ilog was probably nearer to the mouth of the river.
In 1628, Ilog became a garrison town for Negros and the capital of the island from 1632 until 1795. During these years the jurisdiction of the Ilog extended from Suay, Himamaylan in the north, and from Kabankalan to Isio, Cauayan in the south. Since Ilog was a garrison town, people from all over the country and from Spain and Mexico came to trade and live here.
Aside from commercial and trading activities of the Ilognons, they also grew rice, cacao, tobacco and coconut. Fr. Juan Avila, who died and was buried in Ilog in 1706, established a cacao industry which was sufficient to supply the whole Philippines. This greatly enhanced the economy of Ilog.
In 1727, Ilog was attacked and virtually conquered by marauding Moros. Most of the surviving inhabitants fled to Carol-an, a mountain in Kabankalan, where they found the native Negritoes, led by their Chieftain Manyabog, hospitable to them.
Twice between 1751 and 1756, Ilog was raided by plundering Moros. On both occasions the raiders suffered heavy casualties and were finally repelled. The people fought bravely under the leadership of their parish priest, Fr. Matias Guerrero. The Moros left several of their dead and wounded companions as they fled in haste down the Ilog River.
In 1860 until 1889, the town of Ilog was at the height of its “grandeur and glory”. During the Philippine Revolution in 1826, the Ilognons have demonstrated their defiance against Spanish rule.
Today, the town of Ilog continues to develop and diversify. The place is famous for its delicious mudcrab and oysters.
How to Get There
Ilog can be reached through public utility vehicles in about two-and-a-half hours. By private transport, it is about two hours ride south of Bacolod City through the main highway.
Ilog is bounded on the north by Guimaras strait, on the east by the City of Kabankalan, on the south by the province of Negros Oriental and on the west by the municipalities of Cauayan, Candoni and Hinoba-an.
Dancalan Cave System has three different caves namely: Cueva Kabog, Cueva Tubig, and Cueva Intsik.
Mt. Kanlaoron is a cone-shaped mountain with a large cross at the peak.
Andulauan Bird Watching Sanctuary is home of migratory birds. Birdwatching and swimming are the most enjoyable experience.
Ilog, being the first capital of Negros Island and Siquijor, was named as such because it is surrounded by the longest river in the whole island of Negros – the ILOG river. These river stretched up the sea where aquatic resources such as fish, crabs, oysters and shrimps are abundant. Kisi Kisi refers to the fast movement of fish, crabs, oysters and shrimps which are abundant in the sea of Ilog.