Distance from Bacolod: 48.5 kilometers
Land Area: 11,250.00 hectares
Classification: 3rd Class
No. of Barangays: 23 Barangays
Population: 42,089 (May 1, 2000) – 44,521 (2005 Projection)
Language: Hiligaynon/Ilonggo/English is spoken and understood
Around 1840, San Enrique was known as Pueblo de Tinobagan. It was ruled by Spanish friars headed by Eustaquio who appointed Juan Espinosa and Benigno Aguirre as cabezas to head two sections of the pueblo. Both were charge to collect taxes for the Spanish friars.
After about 50 years, the townsfolk staged insurrection against the imposition of high taxes by the Spanish friars. A group led by Titong Custodio arrested all the Spaniards and brought them to the Pueblo de Buklod (now Bacolod) and this eventually ended the Spanish rule in the municipality.
In 1882, a Spanish general visited the pueblo and re-christened Pueblo de Tinobagan to San Enrique. The year saw improvements for the town-the construction of a church, a convent and roads connecting Pueblo de Marayo (now Pontevedra) and Pueblo de Dolid (now Valladolid).
In 1898, six sailboats of American soldiers anchored at Sitio Utod of the town. The soldiers proceeded to the town of La Carlota where they stayed for almost three months. When the Americans returned to San Enrique, they appointed Victoriano Rodriguez as the first president.
The convent in the town was temporarily used as municipal hall. In 1904, San Enrique was annexed to the town of La Carlota for almost three years. The townspeople petitioned in 1907 that they be separated from La Carlota, and Angel Ledesma was appointed president afterwards
How to Get There
San Enrique is approximately 40 minutes drive from Bacolod City by private car and a little more than an hour by public utility vehicle via the main highway. All vehicles plying the southern routes pass through this municipality.
Our Lady of Candles Parish Church was founded by the Recollects in July 1864. Fr. Angel Zamodio, parish priest in 1954-1970 constructed the belfry, undertook the church repair and embellished it with statues of saints and benches.
Las Olas Beach Resort at Barangay Tabao Baybay is half kilometer from the highway. It has a restaurant that is open 24 hours and specializes in fresh seafood. Beach swimming is best in the area with other amenities such as open and elevated cottages, function hall, videoke bar, game fishing (seasonal) and overnight accommodations.
Soleo Beach Resort at Barangay Poblacion caters to seminars and conferences in their function halls. Serves variety of food in their restaurant, has swimming pool and beach swimming is also best in the area.
Gregory Beach Resort in Barangay Tibsoc caters to wedding and party receptions and overnight accommodations. Bird watching in the beachfront is a special attraction.
Barangay Tibsoc Wetland 2004 Mid-Winter Bird Count has identified 12 species of migratory birds dwelling in the area. These birds are visible during months of August up to September.
Kamunsil Integrated Farm is a sprawling 1.3-hectare plantation of fruit trees and vegetables organically-grown by owner Abner Jardinico. The management has a tie-up with the UP Los Baños Agriculture Department and will soon open a function hall that could be used by students during field trips or educational tour. The farm manufactures Green-base vermin-organic fertilizer.
Tignanam Tree or ficus variegate is the biggest tree marking your entrance to the town of San Enrique. Tignanam originated from Guintubdan or the province of Guimaras
Festivals and Events
Bulang-Bulang Festival is celebrated every February 2-9. The festival gives recognition to the game fowl industry which is one of the major sources of livelihood of the town. Bulang-bulang is a character dance presentation which depicts the life and character of the fighting cock.
Annual Town Fiesta is celebrated every February 9 in honor of the patron saint of the town Nuestra Señora de Candelaria.
Derby or Cockfighting is a regular event to highlight every fiesta.